Overview of the key findings of evaluations of vocational education and training
The state of vocational education and training article 2023
The new broad-based legislation referred to as the vocational education and training reform entered into force in 2018. FINEEC has published an article examining how the objectives of the vocational education and training reform have been achieved, how students’ equality is realised and what kind of competence vocational education and training produces.
Many of the objectives set for the individualisation and working life relevance of the studies have been achieved with the implementation of the reform. However, there are still shortcomings with regard to the uniform quality of the activities and equal opportunities for students. Development measures are therefore required to improve the opportunities to choose related to the studies, the availability of guidance and support services and the quality of workplace education and training, and to harmonise the implementation and assessment of the demonstrations of knowledge and skills.
Key findings of evaluations of vocational education and training 2021–2022
FINEEC has summarized the evaluation results of vocational education for the years 2021–2022.
The strengths and development areas of vocational education are presented in the following themes:
- Individual study pathways and special needs support
- Students’ competence and education providers’ pedagogical work
- Students’ togetherness, inclusion and opportunities for participation
- Work-based learning and cooperation with workplaces
- Responding to the challenges of continuous learning in sudden structural changes
- Quality management
Evaluations on which the summary is based:
- Individual study pathways in vocational education and training
- The provision of special support in vocational education and training
- Learning outcomes evaluations
- Students growth into active and critical citizens in upper secondary education
- Workplace education and training and working life cooperation in VET
- Ability of the education system to respond to challenges of continuous learning in sudden structural changes
- Evaluation of the quality management systems of vocational education and training providers